This one is making its way around my circle so here I go:
1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
Egg nog. Which reminds me, I have some in the fridge!
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Both, I guess, but I'd never thought about it before.
3. Colored lights or white lights on tree/house?
I used to go strictly with white, but I got some flashing colored lights recently because Tutu suggested that Alex would like to look at them. She was, as usual, right.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Never have, probably never will. Where do you get mistletoe anyway?
5. When do you put up your decorations?
It totally depends on the year. Some years, Dec. 23. This year, Dec. 10.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Probably mashed sweet potatoes with lots of butter, salt, and pepper, which was one of my grandmother's signature dishes.
7. Favorite childhood holiday memory?
My mom and I dressed up in glam make-up and clothes, drank champagne (just a little for me, I think, as I was in jr. high), and took pictures to celebrate New Year's.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
You know, Santa always had my mom's handwriting, so I think I always suspected the truth.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Gifts play less and less of a role in my Christmases as the years pass, but this will probably change now that we have Alex. But right now, no.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
I start with the lights, wrapping them around starting from the bottom. Then I put ornaments on wherever. I'm not very orderly about it.
11. Snow: love it or dread it?
I'm honestly not familiar enough with snow to dread it, so I think I must love it.
12. Can you ice skate?
Not very well.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I think my most memorable gift would have to be these robots my brother and I got one Christmas. They were about 2 feet tall and they shot out ammunition from their chests. That can't have been childproof.
14. What's the most important thing to you about the holidays?
I love looking back at the year and thinking about what's to come.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Oh, now we get to talk about dessert. Probably pumpkin pie. Or Mary's cookies!
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Fondue and predictions on New Year's Eve.
17. What tops your tree?
I have a red and green ribbon to put up there, but it's not up there yet because I can't reach. I would love to have a beautiful angel, but I haven't found one yet.
18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving gifts?
I'll be honest: receiving! I don't like feeling like I have to buy something just because someone may be expecting a present. But when I find the perfect gift for someone, it is really a joy to give it, whether or not it's Christmas.
19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
Anything from Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas.